Mid-Penn Top Ten Teams After Week 4
Posted September 23, 2013 9:07 pm
AFTER FOUR WEEKS OF ACTION, HERE ARE THE MID-PENN TOP 10 RANKINGS
1. Bishop McDevitt (4-0, Last: 1) – Defeated Mechanicsburg. Next: #5 Susquehanna Township. McDevitt continues to get the opposition’s best shot in the first half, only to put them to rest in the second half. In what should be an emotionally charged game on the road, McDevitt will go up against a team that is looking to break a two-game losing streak against them.
2. Cumberland Valley (3-1, Last:2) – Defeated Central Dauphin East. Next: #4 Chambersburg. CV imposed their will against East last week. They face a team that I believe was everybody’s preseason favorite to win the Commonwealth Division in Chambersburg.
3. Cedar Cliff (4-0, Last:5) – Defeated Hershey. Next: Red Land. The Colts beat a good Hershey team and show no signs of letting up off the gas pedal offensively. They face the very talented running back John Ford and the Red Land Patriots in another West Shore War between the two rivals.
4. Chambersburg – (4-0, Last:6) – Defeated #4 Central Dauphin. Next: Cumberland Valley. The Trojans got that “take notice” win on the road last week against Central Dauphin. A win over Cumberland Valley this week could send a big statement throughout the conference.
5. Susquehanna Township – (3-1, Last: 8) – Defeated Palmyra. Next: #1 Bishop McDevitt. The Indians have been able to open up more on offense in the past few weeks. They’ll need that offense to show up against Bishop McDevitt at home or it will be a very long night for The Tribe.
6. Lower Dauphin (4-0, Last: 9) – Defeated Red Land. Next: Mechanicsburg. Just in case you thought it might be a letdown from their 2012 season, the “Money Team” from Lower Dauphin beg to differ. A win over Mechanicsburg this week can put them in the upper tier of the Keystone Division championship contenders.
7. Steelton-Highspire (4-0, Last: 10). Defeated Trinity. Next: East Pennsboro. Ok, I can admit it. I thought Trinity would give Steel-High a tough game. Obviously, I was wrong, 51 points later (Steel-High won 51-0). The Rollers are the team to beat in the Capital Division right now. That being said, East Pennsboro won’t lay down for them this week as they come into the game with a 3-1 record.
8. Mifflin County (4-0, Last: Unranked) Defeated Carlisle. Next: Harrisburg. Ok, they earned their way into the top ten. To stay there, they’ll need to come up with a win against a Harrisburg Cougars team who still has enough good players to turn their ship around. A win over the Cougars would do a lot for the Mifflin County football program.
9. State College (2-2, Last: Unranked) Defeated #7 Harrisburg. Next: Central Dauphin. As I mentioned last week, State College usually creeps into the rankings by week 4 or 5. A win over CD might move them up another notch or two.
10. Central Dauphin East (2-2, Last: 3). Lost to #2 Cumberland Valley. Next: Carlisle. East has dropped two straight. They have what should be a winnable game against Carlisle this week.
HONORABLE MENTION: Central Dauphin (2-2), Mechanicsburg (3-1), Hershey (3-1)