WPIAL Power Rankings Week 3
Posted September 16, 2013 9:50 pm
1) Central Catholic: Terry Totten has his team rolling. Through 3 games, the Vikings have only allowed 3 total points. This is the second time in three games they have scored over 60. Look for the Vikings to go deep in the playoffs.
2) USC: The Panthers are still at it. Teams are sleeping on USC, but I can assure you, they might be the hardest team to bounce in the playoffs.
3) Seneca Valley: Seneca Valley enters the Top 5 after upsetting previously #1 ranked North Allegheny. NA hadn’t lost in the WPIAL since 2010.
4) McKeesport: The Tigers didn’t blow out Norwin but they did enough to stay at the 4 spot.
5) Penn Hills: Baldwin was looking for the upset win and needed a statement win. Penn Hills shut them down. They also got Ron Brown re-instated, a D-1 running back with multiple offers. Look for Penn Hills to continue to play well.
On the Bubble: Gateway, NA, Pine Richland
1) Central Valley: The Warriors will continue to be #1 until somebody figures out how to stop Jordan Whitehead. Whitehead has wreaked havoc on AAA thus far in his career and looks to continue to.
2) West Allegheny: West A is continues to dominate. They beat a Moon team that was a lot tougher than advertised, and beat them handedly.
3) Thomas Jefferson: TJ is being TJ. I wouldn’t want to face the Jaguars in the playoffs.
4) West Mifflin: Jimmy Wheeler continues to impress. The show-down between the Titans and Jaguars will be a good one.
5) Highlands: Highlands enters this week’s Top 5 after a Franklin Regional loss. They look better than ever.
On the Bubble: Pine Richland, Moon, New Castle
1) Aliquippa: The Quips are being the Quips. Until that changes, don’t expect them to drop anytime soon.
2) South Fayette: Despite putting up 42 on Steel Valley, the Lions offense looked sluggish. They ran the ball better than expected but the timing in the passing game seemed off. Look for Brumbaugh to bounce back this week.
3) Washington High: Super star Shai McKenzie is out for the season. It will be interesting to see who the Prexies turn to.
4) New Brighton: New Brighton has scored the most points in the WPIAL. Its time everybody starts to take them seriously.
5) Beaver Falls: Beaver Falls continues to impress. Mt. Pleasant dropped form the Top 5 but they very well could be in the 5 spot.
On the Bubble: Mt. Pleasant, Jeannette, Shady Side Academy, Quaker Valley, Seton La-Salle
1) Clairton: 66 straight. No debate here.
2) Sto-Rox: It took a goal line stand on the final seconds against #3 Neshhannock, but Sto pulled it out. Credit is due to the Vikings.
3) Neshannock: Despite the loss, they gave Sto-Rox all they had. They are worthy of a 3 spot despite being 2-1.
4) North Catholic: The Trojans still look great without PJ Fulmore. Once he returns it can be a whole new ball game.
5) Fort Cherry: Fort Cherry is 3-0 and just upset Monessen. Could be a sleeper team in A.
On the Bubble: Apollo Ridge, Monessen, Avonworth, Avella