WPIAL Power Rankings Week 4
Posted September 23, 2013 9:18 pm
1) Upper St. Clair: With a huge mercy-ruled win over previously #5 Penn Hills, the Panthers showed that they rightfully deserve the #1 ranking.
2) Central Catholic: The Vikings struggled with Fox Chapel early before blowing them out in large part due to their special teams play. We’d like to see the Vikings prove that they can air it out to win, as they’ve relied on their deep runningback core to carry the load of the offense.
3) Seneca Valley: Seneca continues to win with defense. After forcing 6 turnovers against NA, the Raiders came back to put up a goose egg against Connellsville. They have a showdown with #2 Central Catholic this week that will really show how good each of the teams are.
4) McKeesport: After handling Penn Trafford pretty well, the Tigers stay at their respective 4 spot.
5) Gateway: The Gators enter the Top 5 after Penn Hills got blown out by #1 USC. Gateway has been winning, but most team with that sort of talent should be blowing out teams. The week 6 matchup with NA will show the Gators true colors.
On the Bubble: NA, Penn Hills, North Hills
1) Central Valley: The Warriors might have the best defense in the WPIAL. They have only allowed 6 points in four games. The Warriors have a showdown with #2 West Allegheny this week. We here at preps.com believe Central Valley is the team to beat in AAA, others disagree. All will be found out this Friday.
2) West Allegheny: West A continues to dominate. Simply put, they probably have the best offense in the WPIAL. It will be a show down vs Central Valley this week.
3) Thomas Jefferson: TJ looks like their usually selves. Look for them to move up in the rankings after West A and Central Valley take on each other.
4) West Mifflin: Jimmy Wheeler continues to play lights out. It is clear he is running for a scholarship. The Titans look to be TJ’s toughest competitor.
5) New Castle: That loss to Central Valley doesn’t seem to look that bad anymore considering they are the only team to put up points against the Warriors. They also had 2 TDs called back that game. Put that into perspective.
On the Bubble: Moon, Mars, Elizabeth Forward
1) Aliquippa: Dravon Henry and co. are steam rolling the WPIAL. Look for this ranking to stay all season.
2) South Fayette: The Lions could’ve hit 100 points if they tried last week.
3) Washington High: Chase Caldwell has stepped up in Shai McKenzie’s place. Obviously not many people can replace a talent like McKenzie, but Caldwell looks to keep the Prexies winning.
4) Shady Side Academy: The trio of Dennis Briggs, Jarred Brevard, and Tyrel Hill are quietly dominating AA teams. Don’t sleep on them in the playoffs.
5) Beaver Falls: Another sleeper in AA. Beaver Falls has the athletes to compete with Aliquippa. ATH Kahlil Caracter just got approved by the WPIAL to play, only making this team better.
On the Bubble: Mt. Pleasant, Jeannette, Seton La-Salle, Quaker Valley
1) Sto-Rox: The Vikings are still playing great. After getting by Neshannock, they should easily dominate other teams on their schedule until they get deep in the playoffs.
2) Neshannock: The last second loss to Sto proved that they can take down any team, and if they had 1 more play they could’ve taken out the Vikings. Theyre worthy of the 2 spot.
3) Fort Cherry: It will be nteresting to see how Fort Cherry fairs against Clairton. Hold on tight to this 3 spot.
4) Monessen: The Greyhounds pulled off the upset of the century by taking out #1 Clairton who held the nation’s longest win streak at 66 games. Clintell Gillaspie and Javon Brown look to carry this team as well as senior captain Justice Rawlings.
5) Clairton: Oh how the mighty have fallen. The Bears fought till the final whistle to keep their legendary 66 game win streak alive but the 28-point deficit was too much. If sophomore sensation Aaron Matthews had been healthier, the game could’ve been a lot different, but Gillaspie and Brown exploited their defense all night, lets not take credit away from those two. The Bears play #3 Fort Cherry this week, after a 4 year winning streak, it will be odd to see the mighty Bears with a 2 game losing streak if they come up short.
On the Bubble: North Catholic, Apollo-Ridge