WPIAL Power Rankings Week 6
Posted October 8, 2013 6:45 pm
1) Upper St Clair: USC has outscored their last 5 opponents 204-0. Right now they’re the hottest team in AAAA.
2) Central Catholic: Central is firing on all cylinders right now. USC got the best of them the last 2 years which is why they’re at the 2 spot. Central has NA this week in a game that will define their regular season.
3) McKeesport: The Tigers are still solid at the 3 spot. The showdown with Gateway week 9 will prove a lot for both teams.
4) Gateway: There’s no doubt Gateway has some of the best athletes in the state, but it seems the Gators play to the level of their competition. That can be a good thing, but also a very bad thing. This team continues to pull out victories in the final minutes, which can only help them for the playoffs.
5) Woodland Hills: Our pre-season #1 team finally breaks back into the top 5. Their 2 close losses to McKeesport and USC aren’t looking so bad now, we’ll see how they respond come playoff time.
On the Bubble: NA, Penn Hills, Seneca Valley
1) West Allegheny: West A’s offense looked suspect vs. Central Valley, but it is clear their defense is the best in AAA. Delmonico and Dillon are playing great on both sides of the ball.
2) Thomas Jefferson: It would be interesting to see how dominant this Jaguars D is in the Parkway conference. I’m sure we’ll find out come playoff time.
3) Central Valley: Losing to West A hurts a bit, but Jordan Whitehead took it all out on Moon.
4) West Mifflin: Jimmy Wheeler continues to put up video game numbers. His 6 TD performance vs. Elizabeth Forward on TV showed everybody in the WPIAL just how dynamic he is.
5) New Castle: Don’t sleep on the Hurricanes. New Castle could be a team that ruins some seasons come playoff time.
On the Bubble: Mars. Highlands, Franklin Regional
1) Aliquippa: The Quips continue to roll. It was 42-0 at the end of 1 against Freedom.
2) South Fayette: Brumbaugh is leading this high-octane offense perfectly. So far they are the only team to slow down Quaker Valley’s Dane Jackson.
3) Beaver Falls: Chants of “We want the Quips” at their stadium last week. Beaver Falls has the athletes to compete with the Quips, and Kahlil Caracter being reinstated by the WPIAL is only making this offense deadlier.
4) Washington High: Wash High is proving what Shai McKenzie tweeted, their RBs are deep. We here at preps.com said Chase Caldwell would be a star on any other team, and he is proving that Shai wasn’t their only form of offense.
5) Shady Side Academy: Dennis Briggs, Jarred Brevard, and Tyrel Hill continue to dominate on defense.
On the Bubble: Mt. Pleasant, Jeannette, Kittanning
1) Sto Rox: The Vikings don’t look to slow down. Now that the Bears streak is over, they have become the talk of A.
2) North Catholic: The Trojans needed all 48 to pull out the W vs. Avonworth, but it was an impressive win. PJ Fulmore started getting carries again since his ankle injury in Week 1. They’re only getting better.
3) Neshannock: Neshannock is still flying under the radar. Time to take notice.
4) Monessen: The Greyhounds weren’t themselves when they played Fort Cherry. If they play like they played against Clairton in the playoffs, Clintell Gillaspie and company might just get themselves a ring.
5) Clariton: The Bears bounced back after losing to Mosessen by beating Fort Cherry. Their streak might be over, but their season surely isn’t.
On the Bubble: Avonworth, Fort Cherry